Our New Leader
Strong Roots, Strong Leadership
Ogimaawabiitong – Kenora Chiefs Advisory announces the successful hiring of our new Executive Director, Jennifer Dreaver.
Through a competitive hiring process and the involvement of staff and leadership in the selection and interviewing of candidates – Jennifer was offered the position in March 2023. Jennifer was previously the Chief Operating Officer of Kenora Chiefs Advisory.
Ogimaawabiitong – Kenora Chiefs Advisory acknowledges the guidance and support of Wauzhushk Onigum First Nation, Board Secretary/Treasurer Chief Chris Skead, as well as Elders Ida, and Terry Skead, in hosting ceremony to bringJennifer formally into her new role, which was held at the Roundhouse on Powwow Island. We also thank those board members, staff and organization partners from Kenora District Services Board, Lake of the Woods District Hospital and Firefly who attended in support. Jennifer formally began in the role of Executive Director on April 4, 2023.
Jennifer is mixed Nêhiyaw-German from Mistawasis Nêhiyawak First Nation located in the Treaty 6 territory, north of Saskatoon, SK. She grew up in Toronto, maintaining connection to her home community through visits and family ties. Jennifer lived both in Wabaseemoong and Kenora since 2014. She holds a Bachelor of Arts Hons. From the University of Toronto majoring in Indigenous Studies and History. She completed her Master of Social Work from Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work (U of T) in 2014.
Jennifer began working for the organization in December of 2015 as a Manager of the Child & Youth Mental Health Program. Over the past several years she has supported the development of child and youth services at Kenora Chiefs Advisory, and has developed a passion for advocacy, service development and excellence alongside First Nation communities that KCA serves.
Other Stories in this issue:
- Summer Photo Gallery – A snapshot look at some of the things the KCA departments have been up to through the season in our communities.
- National Indigenous Peoples Day
- First Annual Wellness of our Nations Gathering
- Ogimaawabiitong 2023 Spring Feast
- Ogimaawabiitong Congratulates Northwest Angle 33 on New Water Treatment Centre
- Mental Wellness and Anti-Racism Summit
- KCA Program Updates:
- Binesi Waziswan – Youth Mental Wellness Service
- Niigaanning Bimaadiziwin Child and Youth Development Services
- Strategy and Innovation
- Right to Play
- Kenora Youth Wellness Hub
- Human Resources
- Equine program
- Health Promotion:
- Gambling Addiction Awareness
- Maa Maa Chii Da (Let’s Get Moving)
- Children’s Health Promotion Program
- Wiisokodaadig Peer Helpers
- Anishinaabe Diabetes Education Program (ADEP)
- Merman Challenge